Summer Is Here!
If you are a resident of the beautiful coastal cities of Newport Beach, Costa Mesa, Huntington Beach, Lagnuna Beach or other surrounding areas like Irvine and Tustin, you will probably find yourself at the beach quite often in the coming months! While sun exposure is healthy in moderation, too much is just too much. Suncreens are recommended by most physicians to help prevent skin cancer and premature aging. Sometimes, though, it can be scary when you wonder what's in your sunscreen! There are a lot of long names when you look at the list of ingredients.
If you have the time and are so inclined, you can actually make your own natural sunscreen at home!
What You'll Need:
- 1/4 cup oil - like coconut oil (Mother's Market or Trader Joe's are good places for this)
- 5 tsp Zinc Oxide (make sure it is pure zinc oxide- find it online or in the diaper isle (Desitin contains it. Zinc Oxide is non-toxic and is a physical barrier, blocking both UVA and UVB rays like a reflective mirror. It is not absorbed into the skin, therefore less likely to cause allergic reaction or clog pores.)
- 1 TBSP Beeswax or emulsifying wax
- 3 TBSP natural aloe vera gel
- 1/2 cup distilled water or brewed green tea (strained)
- 2-3 capsules of Vitamin E oil (optional)
- 10 drops Grapefruit Seed Extract (optional)
- Essential Oils or Coconut Extract for scent (optional) [ DO NOT use citrus essential oils since they can actually cause burning]
How To Make Natural Sunscreen:
- Heat oil and beeswax until just melted.
- Remove from heat, and add vitamin E and essential oils.
- Put into bowl that will not be used for food, and add zinc oxide powder, set aside.
- In small pan, heat water or tea and aloe vera until just warm.
- Add the water/aloe mixture slowly while whisking vigorously.
- Add any additional essential oils or fragrances (except citrus)
Have a Great and Safe Summer!!!